Matthew 6:9-10 (16th January 2011, Banstead Community Church)
- ‘Seeking God’s Glory’
- Download MP3
Three things Jesus teaches us to pray for:
1. God’s Name to be glorified
- God’s Name is His identity.
- To ‘hallow’ means ‘to make holy’; to set apart something as special.
“The first, and all-pervasive, all-influencing, all-controlling concern in prayer is to plead with God that God would make his name supremely valuable in the minds and hearts of people.” (John Piper)
2. God’s Kingdom to come
- God’s Kingdom is the place where He rules and His will is done.
- We are praying that God will rule over us.
- We are praying that God’s rule will spread to those outside His kingdom.
- We are praying that Jesus will return.
3. God’s Will to be done
- God’s (revealed) Will is being done in heaven but not on earth.
- We are praying that we will submit to God’s Will.
- We are praying that non-Christians will submit to God’s Will.