Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 12
Friday (17/11): EverGreen [seniors’ ministry] // Pizza Truth [Y6-9 Bible Study]
Saturday (18/11): Day Off
Sunday (19/11): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church // Care Home Service
Monday (20/11): Study Day
Tuesday (21/11): Kids Zone [after-school club]
Wednesday (22/11): Weekly discussion with Pastor // Lunchtime Bible Club at Junior School
Thursday (23/11): Jelly Tots [parents and toddler group] // Church Prayer Meeting
#1 – Listen to Pastoral Theology Lectures 14 & 15 taught by Tom Ascol and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reflect on what the implications of the mark of the church being “apostolic” is for the life of the church.
#3 – Reading Assignment: Gospel DNA by Richard Coekin.
#4 – Preaching on Galatians 2:1-10 at Evening Service.
#5 – Sermon Preparation on Galatians 2:11-21.
#6 – Film Baptism Testimony Video.
What we discussed this week?
- Sermon Critique – Galatians 2:1-10 – using these diagnostic questions.
- What are examples of areas where you’re happy to accommodate something that you would do differently?
- How do you set priorities in a new place?
- Is exhaustion/discouragement/depression something you’ve felt? What’s the difference between them?
- Do you have routine for rest, holidays etc?
- Being intentional about having members from other cultures involved in leading our corporate gatherings, whether through prayer, Bible reading, singing, or preaching. Is this a good idea? Have you done this intentionally?
- Thoughts on homogeneous unit principle. Have you seen it? Are there any ways this thinking is helpful or is it pure pragmatism?
- Is it exhausting the constant set up/tear down of rented space for the church?
- How did the training programme get off the ground? How would you start one if you were beginning in a new church?
- How do you set boundaries for your family?
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)