Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 18
Friday (29/12): Holiday
Saturday (30/12): Day Off
Sunday (31/12): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church
Monday (1/1): Bank Holiday
Tuesday (2/1): Study Day
Wednesday (3/1): Weekly discussion with Pastor // Pastoral Visit
Thursday (4/1): Jelly Tots [parents and toddler group] // Prayer Meeting
#1 – Watch Fundamentals of Expository Preaching Lectures 7 & 8 taught by John MacArthur & Steven Lawson and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reading Assignment: Portraits of a Pastor (Jason K. Allen ed.).
#3 – Reflect on what the importance of the qualification “sober-minded, self-controlled and respectable” is for the pastor/elder.
#4 – Lead Morning Service.
#5 – Preaching on Galatians 3:15-25 at Evening Service.
What we discussed this week?
- Different areas when self-control needs to be shown by the pastor.
- Do you see a lack of boldness in preaching as a big problem in the UK?
- Importance of investing into a handful of men.
- Expository preaching in the Old Testament.
- Use of commentaries and sermons of others in preparing to preach or lead Bible studies.
- Praying for the membership – different ways of doing this.
- Have you ever / how would you go about visiting church members in their workplace?
- Intentionally bringing young and old together in the church.
- How do you know the protocol for a funeral?
- Do you have a go to Bible passage to read for a visit to someone who is sick?
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)