For the series I’ve just done on 1 Chronicles 1-9 I was helped in varying degrees by the following 5 commentaries on 1 Chronicles. (It seems like people called Andrew particularly like this book!)
- Richard Pratt, 1 & 2 Chronicles (Mentor)
- J. G. McConville, Chronicles (Daily Study Bible)
- Andrew Stewart, A Family Tree (Welwyn)
- Andrew Thomson, Opening Up 1 Chronicles (DayOne)
- Andrew Hill, 1 & 2 Chronicles (NIVAC)
For the historical, structural, meaning of the text, Pratt’s commentary was the one I found most helpful – although it was the most expensive.
Sadly McConville only had two chapters on the first nine chapters, although what he said was good and made me wish he had written nine chapters.
The other three commentaries (by the Andrew’s) I found to be a bit hit ‘n’ miss on the chapters 1 to 9. If you had the best of each of them in one book, that would be my go to commentary on 1 Chronicles, but as you don’t…