‘Does it matter what we wear to church?’ If you ask different people this question and you’ll get a whole range of answers. Some will say ‘yes’, some will say ‘no’, some will care about what people wear to church, others won’t be fussed.
What does God say?
Yes! It does matter what we wear to church, in fact it matters what we wear at other times too!
Specific things God says about how we are to dress - His dress code!
- Cover up! (1 Corinthians 12:23-24)
- It is not a fashion show! (1 Timothy 2:9-10)
- Remember what’s really important! (1 Timothy 2:10; 1 Peter 3:3-5)
- Don’t dress like the opposite sex! (Deuteronomy 22:5)
- God is concerned about our hearts (1 Samuel 16:7)
- God commands us to love Him (Matthew 22:36-38; 1 Corinthians 10:31)
- God commands us to love others (Matthew 22:39; Romans 14:13-19)
- God commands us to not be like the world (Romans 12:1-2)
Does it matter what you wear to church?
The answer is YES!
Yes – if you are disobeying God.
Yes – if you are wearing it for the wrong reasons.
What can I wear then?
Well if your clothes are…modest; comfortable (so you don’t get distracted from focussing on God by them); aren’t likely to distract other people (good reason for looking smart – although one person’s smart is going to be different to another); …and you have a heart that wants to please God, what you are wearing is probably okay!
More detailed notes are HERE.