Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 23
Friday (2/2): EverGreen [seniors’ ministry] // Pizza Truth [Y6-9 Bible Study] // Church Bible Study
Saturday (3/2): Day Off
Sunday (4/2): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church
Monday (5/2): Study Day
Tuesday (6/2): Staff Meeting // Kids Zone [after-school club] // Pub Theology Group
Wednesday (7/2): Weekly discussion with Pastor // Lunchtime Bible Club at Junior School
Thursday (8/2): Jelly Tots [parents and toddler group] // Church Prayer Meeting
#1 – Watch Mechanics of Expository Preaching Lectures 7 & 8 taught by Steven Lawson and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reading Assignment: The Pastor’s Justification (Jared Wilson).
#3 – Reflect on what the importance of the qualification “leader at home” is for the pastor/elder.
#4 – Prepare Sermon on Galatians 3:26-4:7.
#5 – Read Chapter 32 ‘The Millennium’ of Bible Doctrine by Wayne Grudem.
What we discussed this week?
- Do you write a draft manuscript of your sermon?
- How do you do application?
- Where do you get your opening illustrations from? Are there other ways of beginning a sermon that you have tried? Why have you landed on this particular way?
- Prayer before the sermon – why? why not?
- Most people feel awkward about talking about the sermon after the service. Why do you think that is? Does it bother you?
- Do you feel the pastor’s ‘Monday morning hangover’? Is Monday a good day to have your day off?
- How do you deal with criticism without withdrawing?
- Do you think there is more pride amongst Calvinists?
- When do you carve out time for Bible study and prayer?
- Are there any particular things at church that you would like to change?
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)