Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 22
Friday (26/1): EverGreen [seniors’ ministry]
Saturday (27/1): Day Off
Sunday (28/1): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church
Monday (29/1): Study Day
Tuesday (30/1): Kids Zone [after-school club] // Elders’ Meeting
Wednesday (31/1): Weekly discussion with Pastor // Lunchtime Bible Club at Junior School
Thursday (1/2): Jelly Tots [parents and toddler group] // Church Prayer Meeting
#1 – Watch Mechanics of Expository Preaching Lectures 5 & 6 taught by Steven Lawson and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reading Assignment: The Christian Ministry (Charles Bridges).
#3 – Reflect on what the importance of the qualification “not a lover of money” is for the pastor/elder.
#4 – Prepare Kids Talk for Kids Zone [after-school club].
What we discussed this week?
- What do you do about textual problems e.g. if preaching through Mark and the end of chapter 16? How would you approach it?
- How do you feel after you’ve preached? What sort of things do you pray for? Do you feel the emotional toil on Monday morning?
- I know you manuscript now, have you ever tried any other forms of notes? Do you plan on manuscripting for the rest of your life?
- Do you rehearse your sermons?
- Any tips on how to write an outline?
- Have you ever felt ‘prompted’ to preach something other than what you’d prepared?
- Baxter talks about the fact that many pastors in his day were not yet Christians. Does this happen often today?
- The importance and benefits of visiting families. What time of day? What things do you discuss?
- Any ideas on getting fathers to take the spiritual lead in their household.
- How can a pastor model repentance for their church while still being an example in godliness?
- Thoughts on being involved in social action as an evangelistic witness.
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)