Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 21
Friday (19/1): Study Day
Saturday (20/1): Day Off
Sunday (21/1): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church
Monday (22/1): Study Day
Tuesday (23/1): Kids Zone [after-school club] // Elders’ Meeting
Wednesday (24/1): Weekly discussion with Pastor // Lunchtime Bible Club at Junior School
Thursday (25/1): Jelly Tots [parents and toddler group] // Church Prayer Meeting
#1 – Watch Mechanics of Expository Preaching Lectures 3 & 4 taught by Steven Lawson and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reading Assignment: The Reformed Pastor (Richard Baxter).
#3 – Reflect on what the importance of the qualification “sober, gentle, peacemaking” is for the pastor/elder.
#4 – Lead Morning & Evening Service.
What we discussed this week?
- How important do you think entrepreneurial skills are for a pastor?
- Do you think we’ve lost some of the richness of the shepherd metaphor with all the church growth guru / business leader blueprints being laid out for pastors today?
- Are there ways you can think of to help your children and wife enjoy Sundays and look forward to church?
- How was the teaching of church history when you were at college? How did you cultivate a love for it that makes you want to teach it to your own church every year?
- Sending out missionaries.
- What are your most productive times and do you have ways of trying to maximise them?
- You only really know that you are called to be a preacher when people are converted under your ministry. Do you think he’s right?
- Do you have ways of preparing your heart and getting fired up to preach?
- The wrong ways of trying to get someone to become a Christian.
- Are there old preachers that you read the sermons of to help you ‘elevate your game’?
- Calling people to repent.
- Specific commentaries that are your ‘go to’s’. How do you know which resources to bother with and which to bin?
- Seasonal messages can be annoying for the preacher as it interrupts the series they’re working on. Do you find it annoying? How do you when to do a special seasonal message for and which to ignore?
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)