Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 20
Friday (12/12): The Hub Conference (Day 1)
Saturday (13/12): The Hub Conference (Day 2) // Weekly discussion with Pastor
Sunday (14/12): The Hub Conference (Day 3) // Evening Service at Banstead Community Church
Monday (15/1): Study Day
Tuesday (16/1): Kids Zone [after-school club]
Wednesday (17/1): Study Day
Thursday (18/1): Study Day
#1 – Watch Mechanics of Expository Preaching Lectures 1 & 2 taught by Steven Lawson and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reading Assignment: Shepherd’s After My Own Heart (Timothy Laniak)
#3 – Reflect on what the importance of the qualification “able to teach” is for the pastor/elder.
What we discussed this week?
- Did you ever feel intimidated by being so young as a pastor?
- How do you know when a sermon is dull?
- How do you go about trying to inflame people’s hearts? Is it the style in which you deliver the sermon? Is it the type of sentences you craft in certain parts of the sermon?
- Are there particular preachers that you will listen to to inspire your love of preaching?
- Who are the best UK preachers to listen to?
- Getting the balance right on using cross references in sermons.
- Were there difficulties you encountered in the early days simply because you were young?
- Where do you get book recommendations from or decide what to read next?
- Thoughts on how to delegate well.
- Content repurposing.
- How did you learn to lead meetings well: elders/church business meetings etc?
- Do you have people in the church who give you feedback?
- How do you keep growing in preaching after you’ve finished training?
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)