Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 15
Friday (8/12): EverGreen [seniors’ ministry] // Pizza Truth [Y6-9 Bible Study]
Saturday (9/12): Day Off
Sunday (10/12): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church
Monday (11/12): Study Day
Tuesday (12/12): The Ministerium [pastors’ gathering] // Elders’ Meeting
Wednesday (13/12): Lunchtime Bible Club at Junior School
Thursday (14/12): Jelly Tots [parents and toddler group] // Weekly discussion with Pastor // Prayer Meeting
#1 – Watch Fundamentals of Expository Preaching Lectures 3 & 4 taught by John MacArthur & Steven Lawson and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reading Assignment: On Being a Pastor by Derek Prime & Alistair Begg.
#3 – Reflect on what the importance of the qualification “above reproach” is for the pastor/elder.
#4 – Sermon Preparation on Galatians 3:1-14.
What we discussed this week?
- Getting the right balance in your preaching between uplifting the congregation and hammering them on sin and judgment.
- How do we show people that they are part of a rich, historical faith while celebrating what God is doing today?
- “The text means what the author intended it to mean in his context.”
- How do you avoid comparing yourself to others?
- “Every pastor needs a pastor.” Do you have someone you still think of as your pastor?
- How do you know when to leave ministry/a ministry?
- How do you minimise distractions?
- How do you do your preaching calendar? How many Sundays do you preach?
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)