Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 13
Friday (24/11): EverGreen [seniors’ ministry]
Saturday (25/11): Day Off
Sunday (26/11): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church
Monday (27/11): Study Day
Tuesday (28/11): Kids Zone [after-school club] // Evangelistic Dinner
Wednesday (29/11): Weekly discussion with Pastor // Lunchtime Bible Club at Junior School
Thursday (30/11): Jelly Tots [parents and toddler group]
#1 – Listen to Pastoral Theology Lectures 16 & 17 taught by Tom Ascol and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reading Assignment: Total Church by Tim Chester & Steve Timmis.
#3 – Preaching on Galatians 2:11-21 at Evening Service.
What we discussed this week?
- Sermon Critique – Galatians 2:11-21 – using these diagnostic questions.
- We are tempted to scratch people’s itching ears: be more practical, be more entertaining etc. Do you feel that pressure!?
- Our love for truth can make us ungracious and unloving towards others. Paul is pleased with Christ is preached, even if for wrong motives. Thoughts?
- How did you learn to preach Christ from any passage?
- How do you do a non-christian funeral well?
- Grasping the all sufficiency of Christ frees us from the temptation to covet what is not ours. Do you see coveting as a particular problem for ministers? Bigger church, easier life, less awkward people?
- Spurgeon says: long for converts like a barren woman longs for a child. Do you feel more pressure when more time has passed without a convert?
- How do you balance being satisfied in him with good gospel ambition?
- Do you have any ‘coaches’?
- Do you see Eternal Conscious Torment as the only biblical interpretation of the data on hell?
- Do people in the pews understand that Catholics need to be saved?!
- How do we teach prayer/ encourage non-prayers/ overcome intellectual problems: why pray if God already knows what I’m going to say? etc.
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)