Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 10
Friday (3/11): EverGreen [seniors’ ministry] // Pizza Truth [Y6-9 Bible Study] // Church Bible Study
Saturday (4/11): Day Off
Sunday (5/11): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church
Monday (6/11): Study Day
Tuesday (7/11): Kids Zone [after-school club] // Pub Theology Group
Wednesday (8/11): Weekly discussion with Pastor // Lunchtime Bible Club at Junior School
Thursday (9/11): Jelly Tots [parents and toddler group] // Church Meeting
#1 – Listen to Pastoral Theology Lectures 10 & 11 taught by Tom Ascol and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reflect on what the implications of the mark of the church being “holy” is for the life of the church.
#3 – Reading Assignment: Center Church by Tim Keller.
#4 – Sermon Preparation on Galatians 2:11-21.
#5 – Read Chapter 29 ‘Gifts of the Holy Spirit (1)’ of Bible Doctrine by Wayne Grudem.
#6 – Prepare Kids Talk on 1 Samuel for Kids Zone [after-school club].
What we discussed this week?
- How do you feel about the future of Christianity in the UK?
- Do you see people not preaching Christ in their sermons?
- How quickly should we get to Christ when preaching?
- How do we avoid allegorising everything?
- To what extend do we want people to do the right things, even if they don’t feel like it or have the right motivation for doing so?
- How do we do Scripture memorisation well?
- What do you make of Dever’s emphasis on the church as “one group of people who are all in the same place at the same time”?
- How often to introduce new songs?
- Do we depend on evangelistic programmes too much?
- Being patient and taking the long view in ministry. What things should we be patient about? What things would you want to change ASAP?
- Who chairs the elders’ meetings? Place of voting in elders’ meeting?
- Thoughts on ‘first among equals’ in the eldership.
- Elder rotation – ideal/impractical?
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)