Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 7
Friday (13/10): EverGreen [seniors’ ministry] // Pastoral Visit // Pizza Truth [Y6-9 Bible Study]
Saturday (14/10): Day Off
Sunday (15/10): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church // Service in Care Home
Monday (16/10): Study Day
Tuesday (17/10): Weekly discussion with Pastor // Kids Zone [after-school club]
Wednesday (18/10): Lunchtime Bible Club at Junior School
Thursday (19/10): Jelly Tots [parents and toddler group] // Church Prayer Meeting
#1 – Listen to Pastoral Theology Lectures 6 & 7 taught by Tom Ascol and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reflect on what the implications of the metaphor of Church as a Bride are for the life of the church.
#3 – Reading Assignment: Nine Marks of a Healthy Church by Mark Dever.
#4 – Sermon Preparation on Ruth 2:1-23.
#5 – Prepare Bible teaching on John 1:35-51 for EverGreen [seniors’ ministry].
What we discussed this week?
- Biblical counselling to unbelievers and believers.
- The importance of keeping up with current events and ways we can do this.
- Confronting false teaching.
- Who should appoint the elders?
- Is plurality of elders a necessity? What about church planting settings?
- Elders should concern themselves with the preaching of the Word and prayer – do we give enough time to it? Should we schedule it in?
- Succession planning and passing on the baton. Examples of this being done well.
- How can small churches still partner in training gospel ministers?
- Usefulness of pastor networks, conferences, support for wives.
- Should all churches be involved in church planting?
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)