Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 6
Friday (6/10): Sermon Preparation on Ruth 1:1-22 // EverGreen [seniors’ ministry] // Church Bible Study
Saturday (7/10): Day Off
Sunday (8/10): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church // Leading at Morning Service
Monday (9/10): Study Day
#1 – Listen to Pastoral Theology Lectures 4 & 5 taught by Tom Ascol and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reflect on what the implications of the metaphor of Church as an Army are for the life of the church.
#3 – Reading Assignment – Independent Churches (Ch9-16) by John Stevens [Ed.]
#4 – Read Two Blog Posts:
- Applying Paul’s Able to Teach Qualification (Jonathan Leeman)
- Singing Songs from Questionable Sources (Bob Kauflin)
Tuesday (10/10): Prepare Kids Talk on 1 Samuel // Kids Zone [after-school club] // Prepare to Lead Church Prayer Meeting
Wednesday (11/10): Sermon Preparation on Ruth 2:1-23 // Lunchtime Bible Club at Junior School // Weekly discussion with Pastor
- Two-fold dimension of the call to ministry.
- Do you agree with the idea, in relation to the call to ministry, of “If you can do something else, do it”?
- The helpfulness of using the language of ‘call to ministry’.
- Is this idea of ‘call’ leaned on too heavily?
- Can a man be divorced and be an elder?
- Must children of elders be believers? What is meant by “faithful children”?
- The separation of the pastor and theologian, and how this has come about.
- Is there any biblical warrant for multisite churches? What about flat-screen preachers?
- Pros and cons of fully congregational churches, elder-led congregational churches, and elder-ruled independent churches.
Thursday (12/10): Jelly Tots [parents and toddler group] // Sermon Preparation on Ruth 2:1-23 // Church Prayer Meeting
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)