Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 5
Friday (29/9): EverGreen [seniors’ ministry]
Saturday (30/9): Day Off
Sunday (1/10): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church
Monday (2/10): Study Day
Tuesday (3/10): Kids Zone [after-school club] // Pub Theology Group
Wednesday (4/10): Weekly discussion with Pastor
Thursday (5/10): Jelly Tots [parents and toddler group] // Church Prayer Meeting
#1 – Listen to Pastoral Theology Lectures 2 & 3 taught by Tom Ascol and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reflect on what the implications of the metaphor of Church as a Vine are for the life of the church.
#3 – Reading Assignment – Independent Churches (Ch1-8) by John Stevens [Ed.].
#4 – Sermon Preparation on Ruth 1:1-22.
#5 – Read Chapter 28 ‘Lord’s Supper’ of Bible Doctrine by Wayne Grudem.
What we discussed this week?
- Sermon Critique – Galatians 1:1-10 & Galatians 1:11-24 – using these diagnostic questions.
- Your first 200 sermons are going to be terrible.
- The benefits of using Logos.
- The difference between defending against wolves and being patient with sheep in error.
- How is the pastor like a ruler? Difference between leadership in the church and secular world.
- Which is a greater danger – passivity or authoritarianism?
- Hospitality as more than inviting people to your homes for a meal.
- Small groups in the life of the church – Are they needed? Different types?
- Ways Scripture fills our worship services.
- How to get people to talk about the sermon after the service?
- Encourage church members to participate in the world recreationally.
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)