Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 4
Friday (22/9): EverGreen [seniors’ ministry]
Saturday (23/9): Day Off
Sunday (24/9): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church
Monday (25/9): Study Day
Tuesday (26/9): Kids Zone [after-school club] // Elders’ Meeting
Wednesday (27/9): Weekly discussion with Pastor // Lunchtime Bible Club at Junior School
Thursday (28/9): Jelly Tots [parents and toddler group] // Church Prayer Meeting
#1 – Listen to Pastoral Theology Lecture 1 taught by Tom Ascol and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reflect on what the implications of the metaphor of Church as a Building/Temple are for the life of the church.
#3 – Reading Assignment – The Life of the Church by Joe Thorn.
#4 – Preaching on Galatians 1:11-24 at Evening Service.
#5 – Lead Morning Service.
#6 – Sermon Preparation on Ruth 1:1-22.
#7 – Prepare Kids Talk on 1 Samuel 13-15 for Kids Zone [after-school club].
What we discussed this week?
- Why don’t we celebrate the Lord’s Supper every week?
- Open vs Close vs Closed Communion.
- What is meant by ‘able to teach’?
- How can pastors practice personal evangelism well?
- What doctrines are first order, second order etc? Where does complementarianism fits in?
- Church as a body and its relationship to Christ the head, and how listening to the head affects the health of the church (dead/dying/disabled/sick/healthy).
- How Christians speak about other Christians especially when there is disagreement over their understanding about what the Bible teaches.
- Is the managerial trend (Pastor as CEO) a US or worldwide phenomenon?
- Is it possible to be ‘too theological’ and not practical/pragmatic enough?
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)