Today, our newest trainee pastor begins his two years training with us at Banstead Community Church. Here’s a description of what’s in store for him.
Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church
Aim: To Train and Equip Men for Pastoral Ministry.
Conviction: BOTH the local church AND a theological college are needed to give someone the best training they can possibly have to equip them for pastoral ministry.
Components of Training
1. Theological Education (delivered by Oak Hill College)
– To be taught the academic disciplines needed for a lifetime of ministry.
Subjects covered: The Word of God & Studying Theology; Biblical Theology; Biblical Studies; Homiletics; Communication; Youth & Children’s Ministry; Doctrine & History; Christian Worldview & Anthropology; Apologetics; Independent Ministry.
2. Reading Assignments
– To read, reflect and discuss a number of books focusing on three core areas: 1) preaching; 2) pastoral ministry; 3) the local church.
– Weekly meeting with the Pastor (Check in on work; planning services, preaching programme etc; book discussion; Q&A; feedback).
– Weekly sermon preparation hour.
– Attend meetings with pastor (membership interviews, pastoral visits, eldership training etc).
4. Involvement in All of Church Life
– Sunday services (inc. helping with set up and pack away).
– Prayer Meetings (inc. Men’s Prayer Breakfast).
– Evangelistic Ministries (Jelly Tots; Men’s Group; Evergreen).
– Discipleship Ministries (Men’s Theology Group).
– Special events – Week of Prayer (Jan); Holiday Bible Club (Feb).
5. Practical Ministry Experience
– Leading Service (2-3 a month).
– Preaching (1 a month).
– Leading Prayer Meeting (1 a month).
– Leading Sunday School (1/2 a month).
– Care Home Services (occasional).
– Pastoral Visitation (2 a month).
– Attend Elders Meetings.
– Lead & organise a specific ministry.
6. Devotional Life
– Follow The Big Read Bible Reading Programme.
– Use Prayer Guide (discipline of praying for members).
7. Conference Attendance
– FIEC Leaders’ Conference (November)
– The Hub Conference (January)
– Evangelical Ministry Assembly (June)
– FIEC Pastor’s Network Day (July)
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)