Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 6
Friday (6/10): EverGreen [seniors’ ministry] // Church Bible Study
Saturday (7/10): Day Off
Sunday (8/10): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church
Monday (9/10): Study Day
Tuesday (10/10): Kids Zone [after-school club]
Wednesday (11/10): Lunchtime Bible Club at Junior School // Weekly discussion with Pastor
Thursday (12/10): Jelly Tots [parents and toddler group] // Church Prayer Meeting
#1 – Listen to Pastoral Theology Lectures 4 & 5 taught by Tom Ascol and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reflect on what the implications of the metaphor of Church as a Army are for the life of the church.
#3 – Reading Assignment – Independent Churches (Ch9-16) by John Stevens [Ed.].
#4 – Sermon Preparation on Ruth 2:1-23.
#5 – Lead Morning Service.
#6 – Prepare Kids Talk on 1 Samuel for Kids Zone [after-school club].
#7 – Lead Church Prayer Meeting.
What we discussed this week?
- Two-fold dimension of the call to ministry.
- Do you agree with the idea, in relation to the call to ministry, of “If you can do something else, do it”?
- The helpfulness of using the language of ‘call to ministry’.
- Is this idea of ‘call’ leaned on too heavily?
- Can a man be divorced and be an elder?
- Must children of elders be believers? What is meant by “faithful children”?
- The separation of the pastor and theologian, and how this has come about.
- Is there any biblical warrant for multisite churches? What about flat-screen preachers?
- Pros and cons of fully congregational churches, elder-led congregational churches, and elder-ruled independent churches.
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)