Trainee Pastor Programme at Banstead Community Church – Week 16
Friday (15/12): EverGreen [seniors’ ministry]
Saturday (16/12): Day Off
Sunday (17/12): Morning & Evening Services at Banstead Community Church // Afternoon Carol Service at Manor Road Evangelical Church
Monday (18/12): Study Day
Tuesday (19/12): Study Day
Wednesday (20/12): Weekly discussion with Pastor
Thursday (21/12): Prayer Meeting
#1 – Watch Fundamentals of Expository Preaching Lectures 5 & 6 taught by John MacArthur & Steven Lawson and produce an outline of each talk; noting down any particular highlights, any questions or points of clarification; and personal applications.
#2 – Reading Assignment: The Pastor’s Ministry by Brian Croft.
#3 – Reflect on what the importance of the qualification “a one-woman man” is for the pastor/elder.
#4 – Evangelistic Talk for Carol Service.
#5 – Sermon Preparation on Galatians 3:1-14.
#6 – Sermon Preparation on Galatians 3:15-25.
#7 – Leading Morning Service.
What we discussed this week?
- Addressing the questions of our culture with expository preaching.
- Different types of expository preaching.
- Do you think we recognise the work of the Holy Spirit in preaching enough? What does/should that look like?
- “The call to ministry is a call to study.” Is this why going to Bible College or doing a quite study intensive training scheme can be advantageous?
- Godly ambitions for the church.
- Variation in pastoral prayer over the course of the year.
- Pattern for sermon preparation – Think yourself empty. Read yourself full. Write yourself clear. Pray yourself hot.
- Thoughts on Alistair Begg’s policy of no facial hair for members of his pastoral team.
- How long do you aim to spend with someone when you’re on a pastoral visit?
- Elders praying for each other.
- Do you have set hours that your wife/children know that you will be with them?
(Photo: Cpl. Sarah Dietz)